Tuesday 8 May 2012

Thing 1

Why am I taking part? .......

Well I am in the process of doing my Chartership and thought this might help me enhance my professional development.

Where is my career now? .........

I am now a subject librarian in an FE college in Doncaster.  I have been a children's librarian, an early years librarian and now I'm working with teens and adults.  It was a big move from working with the under fives to teens and adults, but I don't regret the move one little bit.

Where would I like to go from here? .......

Just at the moment I'm happy where I am.  I obviously would like to complete my Chartership and then I'll look at he situation again.  My next move would probably be into HE, but I like the challenge of working with basic skills students and ESOL.

What am I hoping to learn from from this? .......

I'm hoping to learn how to be more confident with on-line working. 

What am I looking forward to or not? ..........

Being part of an on-line community is a completely new concept for me.  It's a little scary, but an amazing challenge at the same time.

How do I feel about blogging? .......

Nervous, because I've tried it a couple of times before, without success.  I can never seem to get the blog page to do what I want it too.  I'm a keen amateur photographer & wanted to start a photography blog, but I still haven't managed it, so maybe when I've finished this course I can try again!  I would also like to start a Library blog because we do so much with the students it would be nice to share it with other librarians.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carol, interested to see someone from Doncaster. I worked there for 4 years in the 80s, at Sprotbrough and in the School Library Service. I'm really sad reading about what's happening to the public library service there. Good luck with cpd23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anabel Yes it's a nightmare in the public library service here now. Fortunately I'm at the College. I started as a relief library assistant at Sprotbrough in 1993, & have worked a lot with the SLS. Where are you now?

      Delete
    2. Left Doncaster for Glasgow in 1986 and still here. My cpd23 blog is at anabellibraryworld.wordpress.com - I see you have got onto Thing 3, I must try not to fall behind.

      Interesting you worked at Sprotbrough too. Gwen was the relief assistant in my day. The SLA, Eunice, and Laura would have retired by 93. Karen was the youngest assistant. I also worked in the school library service for Gill Johnson.

      Delete
    3. Gill Johnson - well theres a blast from the past. She was head of service when I started & she jumped ship when she saw things were getting bad! Mind you she did allow me to have day release to do my librarianship at Leeds Met! The other names don't ring a bell though I'm afraid.
      Well I'd best have a look at Thing4 & hope it's not too complicated!

      Delete